http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/2015/02/strategizing-an-italian-getaway-on-points.html
After tinkering around with destinations and dates for a month, I finally stumbled upon some excellent availability for a trip to Italy on American Airlines. Utilizing American Airline’s off-peak rates, I booked round trip flights from Indianapolis to Rome and back to Indianapolis via Venice for a total of 80,000 American miles and $109 in taxes and fees. And even better news, our reward flights only have one layover each way.
Where Should We Stay? Flying in and out of two different Italian cities is ideal in my eyes because it will allow us to work our way across the country without having to backtrack for our flight home. Plus, this trip will serve as a re-creation of part of a trip my mother took almost 40 years ago, and the itinerary I choose will fit in well with that. Since we’re flying to Rome, we plan to spend three days there. After that, we’ll spend two days in Florence and another in Venice before flying home. Here’s how we plan to pay with points:
Read more at: Strategizing an Italian Getaway on Points | Frugal Travel Guy
Free Nights in Florence with Starwood Preferred Guest Thanks to the fact that we have a Starwood Preferred Guest credit card from American Express, we have plenty of SPG points to burn as well. It pains me to spend a ton of points for a single hotel night, but our current plan is to spend 25,000 points per night to spend two nights at the Westin Excelsior in Florence. Our other option is the St. Regis in Florence for 35,000 points per night, but that seems a little steep to me!
Regardless, I hear that the Westin Excelsior is an excellent use of points, with dramatic views of the city from the rooftop terrace and its proximity to all of Florence’s top sights. Like I said, I hate to burn that many points at once – it really hurts. But if I’m not saving them for Italy, than what am I saving them for?
Read more at: Strategizing an Italian Getaway on Points | Frugal Travel Guy
Paying for a Night in Venice I have to be honest: I don’t really like any of the points options you can book in Venice. A standard room at the Hilton Molino Stucky Venice goes for 70,000 Hilton HHonors points, which I don’t have. Further, a JW Marriott Resort and Spa is opening this Spring, but it’s on Rose Island — a 20 minute ride away from St. Mark’s Square. We’re only going to be in Venice for one day and I don’t want to spend it getting shuttled back and forth!
So that brings me to what we decided to do. We’re going to pay for a hotel…with money! Crazy, I know, but hear me out. As an avid collector of cash back, I currently have around $850 in cash back that I plan to use for our third night in Rome and our night in Venice. I’m currently considering the Arlecchino Hotel for its proximity to the airport shuttle drop off and train station.
Read more at: Strategizing an Italian Getaway on Points | Frugal Travel Guy
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.